Monday, July 12, 2010

They are Not All The Same (My Adventures with Roy, Part I)

image

I had a very specific view about dogs…I didn’t like ‘em. I’m not sure when it started but I do remember being attacked by a dog my freshman year of college. I had written all of them off…until I met Roy.
Roy isn’t his really name, it’s Tashee, but I thought he needed a tougher sounding name like Spike, Killer or Roy . I met Roy about a year ago when I went to stay with my sister in Queens, NY. At the time Roy was locked in a cage in the bathroom and did nothing but bark. I thought, “boy am I glad he is in that cage and not chasing me around.”
Fast forward to the present day when I had plans to visit my mom in Brooklyn and heard Roy was there. Knowing my mom, there was no way she was going to keep Roy caged and confined to a specific location of the house. I drove down from MA and came to the door of the apartment where I grew up. I looked at the door and took a second to read the sign on the door that finally made sense with Roy in the house, “Never mind the dog, beware of owner.” I rang the bell and heard Roy’s barking. “Oh boy, here we go.”. I went in and Roy was barking jumping all over the place, but I played it cool. I sat down and Roy was checking me out, barking and moving in and out of reaching distance. I reached my hand and he would jump back. Finally, I paid him no mind and he came to me and placed his paws and head on my knee. “aww” all he wanted was doggie love. He was sizing me up to see if I was a friend or foe.
image
Ambassador’s lesson #1, I made a huge generalization when I said, “I don’t like dogs.” They are just like people—you’ll like some of them and not others and they all have their own personalities. Don’t generalize a race, religion, breed or anything else.

Ambassador’s lesson #2, situations can play a big part in how we look; for better or worst. You ever met someone at the club where it was dimly lit and thought they were super hot only to find out on your first daylight date that you were gravely mistaken? This was the reverse case when I first met Roy locked up in a cage in my sister’s bathroom and he was barking like a manic. When he was set free and in a different environment, his true personality was able to shine through.
Run the Point from where you are, with what you have!

Your Ambassador,
Mike Bruny, CPCC
Certified Life Coach, Speaker, Author
Run the Point Enterprises 
www.runthepoint.com
www.hiphopaffirmations.com
Gone Digital:
Facebook: www.facebook.com/mike.bruny
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikebruny
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Runthepoint
==========================================================
Author of: “Move the Crowd: 30 Days of Hip Hop Affirmations To Change Your Life.” www.runthepoint.com/products

No comments: