Thursday, December 24, 2009

Tiger Woods Meets "Coach" Ambassador Bruny




So we all know the situation Tiger Woods is currently in.  I won't label it as good or bad, because we don't know the whole story...yet.  It's still being written.  Ever wonder what would happen if Tiger Woods had a life coach?  Check out what happens when  Tiger Woods meets Ambassador Bruny, a Certified Profession Co-Active Coach (CPCC) who knows he is tough enough to bounce back from this because he believes he is Naturally Creative Resourceful and Whole.  Tiger is not broken!


Ambassador Bruny [AB]: Hey Tiger, what would you like to focus on today?
Tiger Woods [TW]: Well Ambassador, I've got myself into a Jam.  You see growing up I was an only child, so I was lonely.  My only refuge was golf.  I was really always considered a golf nerd.  When I was young I had braces that came with a head piece and was very akward with the ladies.  My first love has always been golf. [AB interrupts]
AB: Tiger, I'm going to interrupt you for a moment; what's important to you about that story?
TW: What's important to me is that I've gone through a lot of changes from golf geek to golf god, that the ladies love.  I've got all this fame, power and I don't know who really loves me (Eldrick) and who loves my golf persona (Tiger).
AB: I see.  Tell me this, what is it that you really want?
TW: Well I really want to live the life of a bachelor, but I know because of who I am and what I represent to the world, I have to  settle down.
AB: What's it like to "have" to do what the world tells you?
TW: It's really tough.  But I know being over 30 it's the right thing to do.
AB: I feel the toughness of it all in your voice.  So you "have" to do what the world tells you to do; it's the right thing to do.  It sounds like we are talking about your relationship to "living your life."
TW: That sounds about right.
AB: It sounds like your current perspective is, "I have to do what the world tells me."  Would you mind exploring a couple of different perspectives with me and seeing what else is possible for you?
TW: Sure
AB:  We are going to explore several perspectives in relation to "living your life."  I'm going to ask you to stand up.  I'm going to ask you to look through different windows in your house to represent the different perspectives.  Let's start with this window over here.  I want you pretend this window represents your current perspective which is,"I have to do what the world tells me."  Take a moment to take it in.  I really want you to feel what it's like in this place.  What's your body posture in this place of "have to do what the world tells me?"
TW: It's slumped over, it feels like I'm playing golf in the rain, i'm in the deep rough and have trees all around me.  In other words it's tight.
AB: so the perspective of "I have to do what the world tells me" has you feeling tight, not much wiggle room.  Ok, lets explore a different perspective.  Let's step over to this next window.  How about the perspective of "I do whatever I want?"  What's it like in this space in relation to living your life?
TW:  I'm still a little slumped over, not as much as before and not for the same reasons.  I'm slumped over a bit because in this place I did not get enough sleep.  I've been out all night.  It's weird, it's freeing and tiring at the same time.  It's like going for a crazy long shot when I should just lay up and get to the green in two instead of trying to go for it in one shot.
AB: Good.  Let's try a couple more.  Let's move to this next window.  What do you see out there?
TW: The Ocean
AB: Ok, what's "The Ocean" perspective on "living my life"
TW: It's complicated, beautiful and deadly at the same time.  My body posture in this place is to just lay down on the floor.  There are too many options and variables; it's paralyzing.
AB: Well let's lay down on the floor. (wait about 30 seconds) What's there?
TW: [sobbing] I see my dad.  I see him wanting me to be tough.  To be able to fight through everything and anything.  There's also a sense of frustration here because I want to control everything, but I know I cannot; similar to the sea.  All we can do is go with the wind and learn to use it to our advantage.  We can't control it.
AB:  What do you say we explore one more perspective.  You can choose.
TW:  I would like to explore the perspective of Eldrick.
AB: OK, let's go to this window over here.  What's the perspective of Eldrick like?
TW: It's naked, raw, kind.  It's a sunny place.  It's like playing golf on my own on a beautiful day.  It's a place of responsibility.  When I hit a shot, I have to replace the divot (no one's there to clean up my mess) or treat me like I'm great.  It's just me, the rules of the game and doing the right thing--because it's the right thing.  I don't move the ball if it's on a bad lie. I do the right thing for the sake of doing the right thing and for the respect I have for the game and for myself.
AB: That sounds like a powerful place for you.[wait 30 seconds to let it all soak in] Ok, we are going to do what's known as touch and go.  We are going to have you briefly revisit the feeling of each of the perspectives we discussed and then I'm going to ask you to select one to build from moving forward.
*We go through each of them quickly*
AB: Ok Tiger which perspective would you like to build from moving forward?
TW: I would like build from the "Eldrick" perspective.
AB: Yeah, I felt the resonance with that perspective for you.  We are coming to the end of our session today; I would like to leave you with an inquiry for you to journal about until we met again.  Are you ready?  Here it is: "Who is Eldrick?"  Will you take that on?
TW: Yes, I will Ambassador Bruny; Thank you so much
AB: Thank you...Eldrick; you did all the work [smile], I just asked you a couple of questions.  I want to acknowledge your courage to take steps to live your life your way.  Until next time, keep running the point from where you are with what you have.

What would you do if you were hired to coach  Tiger Woods?

Your Ambassador,
Mike Bruny

3 comments:

jefeinoa said...

Love this Mike. While the conversation was fictitious, the column provides a nice perspective on the power of coaching, specifically your coaching. Tiger could have used a life coach long ago, particularly after his father passed.

Anonymous said...

Bruny - very creative. Check out Hypnotic Writing from my blog post on books I read this year. Great read with tips on how to captivate readers of your writing (blogs, books, etc.). I have a post similar to this with me and Obama. In queue for January release.

Love what you are doing here man. Thanks for your support of my blog as well. Let me know which books, if any, you pick up off my post.

See YOU at the top,
Coach Al Johnson
www.coachaljohnson.com
www.inspiratude.com

Run The Point Enterprises said...

@Jefe: I agree Eldrick could have used the service of a coach.

@Coach Al: There are two books on your list that I am going to check out: 1. Book yourself solid; 2. Hypnotic Writing. Thanks for sharing your list.