Monday, September 20, 2010

Coming Back From Cali




I'm back from California after my third leadership retreat (It's a 4 retreat program). This retreat was a very powerful one where I found myself really focusing on the space around me; what is said and what is not said.

After each retreat I am actually a little sad for two reasons:
1. I have to leave the great individuals who have gathered for the sake of being better leaders around the world.
2. I know that everything that I complain about or don't like is up to me as a leader to change. "deep gulp"

On the way home I was suppose to go from San Jose to Los Angeles to Boston, but instead I ended up going from San Jose to Los Angeles to Chicago to Boston and added 3 hours to my trip. Why you ask? My first flight landed late causing me to miss my connecting flight. "Yes," I wasn't a happy camper, but part of what I'm learning as a leader is not to get so caught up or "triggered" by situations. I did what I needed to do to get over it, because the reality was, there wasn't much I could do about the situation at the time.

So how exactly did I let it go? I jumped on my MacBook Pro and drafted the letter I wanted to send to American Airlines once I got home. Next, I closed my eyes and washed away my thoughts and began anew. It ties in perfect with my philosophy of Run the Point from where you are with what you have. I took charge, by letting go.

Run the Point from where you are, with what you have!

Your Ambassador,
Mike Bruny
P.S.: Wondering what that photo is above? It me an my leadership cohort dancing to YMCA at a local California restaurant (Ciao Bella II). I'm on the far right--get down with your bad self.

No comments: