Monday, April 27, 2009

Doing It-- F.O.S



Remember this acronym, F.O.S. (Focus On Service) as you read the information below.

Friday I had an opportunity to see LL Cool J (referred to as LL moving forward) at a discussion and book signing focused around empowering young adults. The event took place at a community college outside of the Boston area. For those who don't know LL; he is a man who has been in the hip hop Industry as an artist for over 20 years. If I could get my book, “Move the Crowd: 30 Days of Hip Hop Affirmations to Change Your Life,” into his hands and get his support, that would take things to another level.

I put on my thinking cap, knowing that people probably give him things (CDs, books, etc.) to review everyday. How could I be different? How could I stand out and create an opportunity to follow up with him at a future date? What would you do?

With only one day’s notice of the event, I started with a little bit of research; why was LL coming to talk at this school? I couldn’t find anything on the internet about the event, but I was able to gain insight into some of the things he has done during his long career.

It’s Friday and there are only a couple of hours before I head to the event. I’m focused on the thought of how I can leave a lasting impression with LL. All of a sudden it hit me; the best way to be remembered is to be of service. I pulled a page from JFK’s book, “Ask not what LL can do for you, but what you can do for LL.” Hmm…How could I, Mike Bruny, be of service to this multi-platinum recording artist who currently commands at least $1 million dollars for acting roles? I continued to focus on service; I wondered what charities LL is involved in? With limited time and a brief internet search I wasn’t able to come up with anything. What else could I give? Well, LL is not the only one with a book. I brought an autograph copy of my book for him. I selected my outfit, bow tie included—great way to standout. When I got to the event, I purchased a copy of LL’s workout book to be autographed. While others were focused on the weightlifting pictures, I focused on the words in search of clues that would allow me to make a connection in the brief 1-2 minutes that I would have when LL was signing the book I just purchased. Right away a quote in the book caught my attention, “Write something worth reading or do something worth writing about,” by Benjamin Franklin. Cool, I brought him something worth reading—my book. It felt as if the stars were slowly aligning in my favor.

During his talk, I listened carefully with faith that something said would provide me the opportunity to be of service and leave an impression. That opportunity came when LL was talking about his next endeavors. He is researching and looking to get into micro-financing in other countries. Right away it hit me, “I know someone who specializes in micro-financing and is very knowledgeable and connected in that area.” I immediately retrieved his contact information from my phone and copied it onto the back of my business card, with a brief note for LL.

The event ended and it was time to get my book signed. I waited in line and rehearsed what I would say in the 30 seconds I would be given as LL signed my book. Okay, it was my turn; I handed him my book (Move the Crowd) and said, “Here is something worth reading”—I took the line from the Benjamin Franklin quote in his book . As he autographed the workout book I purchased earlier, I told him that I heard what he said about micro financing and I am providing him the contact information for a professor at Northeastern University who could be of service. He responded, “My man” and gave me a handshake. I left the event feeling good because I was able to set myself apart, not only by being the only person with a bow tie , but also being aware enough to see an opportunity to be of service. Besides, how many people who were at that event can say they were of service to LL Cool J.?

Where are the opportunities for you to be of service? Are you trying to get things done, but are running into resistance? Look for ways you can genuinely be of service. Remember this acronym, F.O.S. (Focus On Service).






Your Ambassador,
Mike Bruny, CPCC
Certified Life Coach, Speaker, Author
Quarter Life Answers
www.runthepoint.com / Coming soon www.QuarterLifeAnswers.com

Gone Digital:
Facebook: www.facebook.com
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikebruny
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Runthepoint
==========================================================
Author of: "Move the Crowd: 30 Days of Hip Hop Affirmations To Change Your Life." www.runthepoint.com/products

No comments: